When it comes to credit cards, you want the one that is going to suit you and your businesses needs the best. Many credit cards offer types of rewards in order to give their customers incentives to apply for their card, for being good customers, and to encourage them to use their card in the different categories that will earn them reward points. If you or your company typically have business travel expenditures finding a credit card that can help offers the best benefits for traveling. Before you apply to any one of the specific credit cards, you will want to find out exactly which cards offer the best perks for travel spending as well as if their other requirements for being a cardholder are what you are looking for in a credit card. The following are the five top travel credit cards for 2017.
What is a travel card?
Travel credit cards can really reduce the cost of travel when you use them for everyday purchases and earn bonus or reward points for your spending. You can get rewarded in miles, points, cash and other means, every time you spend and use your card. When it comes time planning your next trip, you may be surprised at how much of a savings you can get on travel expenses when you cash in your rewards.
Travel credit cards will vary with the types of perks they offer to their customers. The type of card you get should depend on the type of spending you do, the type of rewards they card offers as their benefits, and how much traveling you do. With all the credit cards available today, it doesn’t suit you to apply for one that isn’t going to give you anything back, and it certainly won’t benefit you to get a card that doesn’t offer travel benefits if you or your company needs one that will help you reduce the costs of travel. The following ten cards are considered the best travel cards for this year, 2017. Learning what each one offers will help you decide which one is fits your needs the best.
Starwood Preferred Guest by American Express
American Express is a popular credit card used especially in the corporate world. It does offer travel rewards to customers and one of their travel cards is the Starwood Preferred Guest card. Its benefits include:
- Earn 25,000 reward points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- APR on purchases is a variable rating 15.74% – 19.74% depending on your credit rating.
- Earn 5 points per dollar spent on other purchases for travel at participating Starwood hotels.
- Redeem your points at participating Starwood hotels and their brand names.
- Earn 2 points per dollar spent at participating Marriott hotels.
- Earn credit for 5 nights and 2 stays every year toward an elite status.
- There is no annual fee for the first year and then is set at $95 annually.
Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card by American Express
Another travel rewards credit card by American Express is another Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card. This is a little bit different spin on the Starwood Preferred Guest card. This card offers a little bit different benefits.
- Make $5,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of opening your account and earn 25,000 bonus points.
- You can redeem your points for free night’s stay at over 1,300 hotels and resorts located in over 100 countries.
- You can redeem your points for free flights on over 150 airlines with no blackout dates. Be aware that some hotels may have mandatory service fees.
- No foreign charges are assessed on international purchases.
- Receive unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 100,000 Boingo hotspots globally. Enrollment for this perk is required.
- No introductory annual fee the first year. After that, $95 annual fee assessed.
Capital One Venture Card
A lot of people trust Capital One when it comes to their credit. They know Capital One offers travel benefits as a card holder and this card may offer them what they need in a travel card. Capital One Venture card travel benefits include:
- Get a one-time bonus of 40,000 miles when you make $3,000 worth of purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account. This equals $400 in travel.
- Earn 2x points on every dollar spent on regular purchases.
- Fly on any airline as well as stay at any hotel at any time you choose. No blackout dates.
- There is no expiration on miles. Use anytime with no Cap to what you can earn.
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee for the first year, the $59 annual fee after.
- Variable interest rate at 13.49% – 23.49%
Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard
Many people are turning to the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard for their travel and purchasing needs due to the perks and benefits it offers. Barclaycard has some pretty outstanding benefits for those who travel and need to get the most out of their money. Here are their best benefits with travel.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 90 days. That is equal to $500 for travel.
- Earn 2x miles on all purchases.
- Your miles do not expire.
- When you find your best travel deal and then purchase it with your Barclaycard, you will earn 2x miles.
- Redeem your miles with 10,000 for $100 toward some or all of your travel expenses if used within 120 days of opening your account.
- Introductory rate of 0% interest for 12 months for every balance transfer you make within 45 days of opening your account. After, a variable APR applies at 16.49%, 20.49% or 23.49% depending on your credit.
- Get 5% miles back for use on your next redemption every time you do a miles redemption transaction.
- Concierge and luxury travel benefits.
- Travel accident and cancellation insurance available.
Chase “Sapphire Preferred” Card
Citi card is owned by Chase Manhattan and is one of the most recognized names in the financial world. One of their biggest endeavors is with credit cards. They are one of the strongest suits in travel credit cards and give great perks for travel. The best benefits of the Sapphire Preferred travel card include:
- Earn 50,000 bonus points once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months of opening your account. That equals to $625 toward traveling that you can redeem.
- It offers 2x points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide. Plus 1 point per dollar you spend on other purchases.
- There are no foreign transaction fees
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add your first authorized user as well as make a purchase within the first 3 months of opening your account.
- You get 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs.
- You will receive 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, rental cars, cruises and hotels through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions are in play. So long as there is availability on a flight, you may book it through your rewards program.
- There is an annual fee that applies. The annual fee is $0 the first year as an introductory offer, then $95 annually.
Once you know what type of travels you or your company will be doing and where most of your money will be spent, it may make it easier to match your needs with the travel cards available. With so many options to choose from, you should be able to choose a card that will give you the biggest rewards for your dollar.