Are you looking for a major airline credit card that offers you the ability to start earning miles immediately, apply quickly and get an answer in 60 seconds? Do you also want plenty of perks at competitive rates? Well then, the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card could be the option you’ve been searching for. As a cardholder, you not only receive credit for flights on Alaska Airlines or any of their partner airlines, but one of the optimum methods for accumulating rewards toward your Mileage Plan is every time you use your Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card.
And, although this card itself is not new, it has some new and some already existing features that bear discussing:
Special Features of the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card
- For starters, as an Alaska Airlines Visa Signature cardholder, you will receive a special sign-up bonus.
- You can receive special elite benefits worldwide while traveling to more than 800 destinations.
- You can earn max miles when you purchase tickets on Alaska Airlines, as well as vacation packages and in-flight items.
- You can also rack up the points with other purchases.
- You get automatic bonus miles with your Alaska Visa Signature Card.
- Your miles are redeemable for Alaska Airlines and its partner airlines’ flights.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
- Once you have made $1,000 worth of purchases or more during your first 90 days as a cardholder, you will receive 30,000 bonus miles.
- You will receive three miles for each dollar that you spend on Alaska Airlines vacation packages and airline tickets, as well as in-flight purchases and cargo that you ship.
- You will also receive one mile for each dollar that you spend on any other purchases.
- You can get annual companion fares from $99, plus taxes and fees from for a total of $121 once you have purchased $1,000 worth of purchases during the first 90 days that your account is open.
- You can include as many as six additional passengers on one reservation.
- You also receive one free checked bag for you and one for each of your companions on the same reservation.
- Your Alaska Visa Signature Card will be chip-enabled for enhanced security at terminals that are chip-enabled.
- There are absolutely no blackout dates when you use your Alaska Visa Signature Card.
Cards Issued By Bank of America
Bank of America is one of the largest wealth management companies worldwide and is based in Charlotte, North Carolina, As a world leader in trading and investment banking, BofA has an extremely strong presence nationwide. The APR for the Alaska Visa Signature Card is 14.49% – 19.49% and the APR for balance transfers is 12.49%. These are based on creditworthiness at the opening of the account and then will vary based on the market prime rate. The APR for cash advances is 15.49% to 22.49%.
How the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card is Better Than Other Cards
There is a specific area where the Alaska Visa Signature Card is able to surpass other co-branded airline cards and that is with the earning rate. The majority of other cards from US carriers are only offering two miles to the dollar on airline purchasing. The Alaska Visa Signature Card offers three miles per dollar spent. That’s a pretty decent return and if you travel frequently on Alaska Airlines, whether for please or for work; and increase the balance on your Mileage Plan is your goal, this particular card could prove to be an excellent choice for you.
In addition, the free checked bags on reservations that are eligible, not only for yourself but for as many as six companions is something that you probably won’t receive with many other cards. In addition, it isn’t even necessary to pay using your Alaska Visa Signature Card either to receive this perk. This feature alone could result in a $25 savings per person per trip.
The annual companion fare is not only an excellent method for airfare savings, but it can be even more valuable when it’s paired it with an upgrade. And, the bottom line here is that it is one of the greatest monetary values involved with this card. The valuable companion ticket that you can earn each year is simply a win-win. Bear in mind, however, that although you may choose flights on Alaska Airlines’ 15 partner airlines to use your points, the companion fare must be used on an Alaska Airline flight.
Drawbacks of the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card
Of course, with any card, there are bound to be certain drawbacks, although this card only has a few:
- It carries an annual fee of $75
- The sign-up bonus could be considered a bit small in comparison to offers from some other airlines co-branded cards, however, a 30,000-mile bonus could actually be enough for booking a free trip, like for example, a flight to Hawai or even a first-class domestic flight within the US.
- Since Alaska Airlines does not partner up with any of the other major programs that offer transferable points, your cardholder options for miles accumulation are a bit limited.
- You should probably utilize a different card for non-Alaska purchases because you could possibly do better than the one mile per dollar earning rate.
Alaska Airlines Partners
Since you receive a good earnings rate for all Alaska Airlines purchases, this card could be an excellent choice even if your chosen destinations are not served by Alaska. Redeeming your Mileage Plan awards could prove to be an amazing value. Chances are your individual travel plans may not quite coincide with Alaska Airline’s route network, but don’t worry about that. One of its partners probably has a flight that will work for you. Those partners include:
- Ravn Alaska
- British Airways
- American Airlines
- Cathay Pacific
- Iceland Air
- Fiji Airways
- Japan Airlines
- Hainan Airlines
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Korean Air