A quality set of wireless earbuds can make listening to music, videos, or chatting on the phone an effortless experience. They can eliminate the hassle of tangled wires and are therefore much cleaner and simpler to store. Mobile devices can be freely used and handled without the worry of tugging the earbud out of the ear.
However, a low quality set of wireless earbuds can be frustrating. Issues such as short battery lives, intermittent connectivity, and poor user experiences have caused some consumers to stay away from these earbuds. The SonaBuds Wireless Stereo Earbuds by Dashbon attempt to address these issues with a set of small, comfortable, and effective earbuds for a low price.
The company behind the SonaBuds, Dashbon produces intuitive technology to enhance everyday experiences. Some of its other products include Mask, which is a mobile movie screen that is worn like glasses, and Magic Screen, which is a mobile 80” projection screen that requires no assembly. They focus on creating products that not only function smoothly, but appeal to needs that consumers often do not even know they have.
- Andrew Lin is a co-founder and the CEO of Dashbon. He previously worked as a sales manager at Foxconn, and holds a Master of Science in electrical engineering from the University of Southern California.
- Douglass Chen is a co-founder who acted as a project manager at Foxconn. He, too, holds a Master of Science in electrical engineering, although he earned his degree at Columbia University.
- Osber Liu is also a co-founder, with experience as a lead finance officer at Foxconn. He is the CFO for Dashbon, and is a Certified Public Accountant.
- Berlin Wang acts as the head of engineering for Dashbon, using his experience as the project manager for solid state illumination products at Foxconn to produce high quality products.
- Kevin Hsu is tasked with the optical illumination engineering at Dashbon. This fits perfectly with his experience working with HID, LED, and Laser light sources as the lead optical engineer at Foxconn.
- Frank Wu is a hardware and acoustic engineer, who brings to the table a great deal of experience from Foxconn, where he was the hardware designer of projection displays.
- Ken Yeh oversees the software engineering. His experience at Foxconn was in developing micro projection displays.
- Chad Chu is Dashbon’s mechanical engineer, building on his experience as the design lead at Foxconn.
These eight individuals have amassed a wealth of knowledge and experience, both from higher education and from working at Foxconn. Bringing together their expertise allows for quality products to be created with qualified supervision at all stages of development, from hardware to software to marketing.
The SonaBuds product moved rapidly from its initial conception to final production and shipping. This is impressive, although it is to be expected considering the vast experience of the Dashbon team.
The idea was first conceptualized in October of 2015. Incredibly, the first prototype was completed in February, 2016. Throughout the following months, further improvements and prototypes were built. This led to the final products being signed off in August. The final production and shipping are set to take place in November. In total, the earbuds have gone from a concept to a product ready to be shipped in just over a year.
While Dashbon only set a fundraising goal of $20 000, they managed to surpass this goal by over $7000. The hundreds of backers must have seen the quality of the SonaBuds and the competence of the team.
Functions and Price
With Bluetooth connectivity, the SonaBuds earbuds allow a person to listen to music and videos without wires plugged into a mobile device. It features HD quality sound to maximize the listening experience. Further, the earbuds have a built-in microphone, allowing users to answer calls and chat without holding a phone to their ear. This is even more attractive when one considers how small and lightweight the earbuds are. Listening to music or chatting on the phone is a comfortable and effortless experience with SonaBuds.
In addition, this high quality product is available for under $50 on Indiegogo. It is a remarkable price for such a quality product.
This is a product built to address the needs of consumers. As such, it aims to be an intuitive gadget that enhances the use of mobile devices. This is achieved through various features, such as the automatic on and off. The earbuds will automatically turn on when removed from the charging pod, and automatically turn off when returned.
Further, and even more conveniently, the earbuds automatically connect to paired mobile devices when turned on. This saves plenty of time for users, who need not worry about powering the earbuds up and pairing them to a mobile device with each use.
As well, SonaBuds use multipoint technology to connect to two devices at the same time. There is no confusion about which device is receiving a call, either, as the earbuds automatically stream it from the correct device when the call is answered.
Finally, the device helps ensure a seamless user experience by providing clear voice notifications if the earbuds are low on battery or disconnected from a device.
All of these convenient features would be worthless if the earbuds had to be constantly plugged in to recharge. Luckily, SonaBuds are able to last an impressive 4 hours of continuous use on a single charge. Even more impressive is the portable charging pod, which allows for 20 additional hours of use.
The charging pod is not only small and portable, it uses magnetic connections to keep the earbuds in place while charging. As well, the battery life of the earbuds can be checked on a paired smartphone.
- Driver Diameter: 6mm
- Sound Output: 90dB at 1KHz
- Harmonic Distortion: 5% max at 1 KHz, 1mW
- Omnidirectional condenser microphone
- Buds charged in 1.5 hours
- Pod charged in 1 hour
- Pod provides 5 extra charges (20 hours)
- Charges with micro USB
- 33-foot range
- Connects to two devices simultaneously
- Buds are 33mm long, 16mm high, 20mm wide
- Pod is 70mm long, 41mm high, 51mm wide
- Earbuds are 6 grams each
- Pod is 70 grams
SonaBuds by Dashbon is an intelligently designed product that delivers incredible quality for its low price. With HD sound and small earbuds, buyers do not have to worry about sacrificing performance for comfort.
As well, its impressive battery life and convenient charging pod means that all the features of the SonaBuds can be experienced for extended periods of time. They are versatile, connecting to two devices at the same time. They are also intuitive, as they automatically turn on and connect when removed from the charging pod. This makes using the SonaBuds an all-around delightful experience.