It isn’t unusual to take away life lessons from TV shows these days. There are plenty of show writers today that are able to touch, bend, and twist our hearts with amazing characters, plot lines, and storytelling. However, most fans would probably have to agree that NBC’s tearjerker This Is Us has got to be one of the best shows that have graced the small screen—ever. So many things about This Is Us just get us going. It’s about family. It’s about love. It’s about loss. It’s simply about the many things in life that makes it difficult and extra special at the same time. That’s why many of the things we learn from This Is Us can apply to different aspects of life, including the fast world of business. So here are 20 awesome This Is Us quotes to fuel you in your business.
1. “If it’s between you and having kids, you win, every time. No question.” – Jack Pearson
Simply replace the word “kids” here with “a business,” and you’ve got the reality of being your own boss right in front of you. There’s a certain kind of commitment that’s required with having a business, and sometimes, the rest of life has to take a backseat. The important thought to answer here is how high of a priority business should take in your life. Would you choose your business over your other relationships, or would you not?
2. “You see, for days, I’ve been plagued by the question: how do I honor my father’s legacy? Then I realized, I honor his legacy by taking what I learned from the way he lived his life and use it to shape the way I go on living mine.” – Randall Pearson
Quote Catalog features one quote that sums up Randall’s relationship with Jack. Randall always sees to it that he’s honoring his father in whatever he does. It’s a great attitude to take in business. Always learn from those that have succeeded before you. Stand on the shoulders of giants. You’ll learn best that way.
3. “Sometimes, in marriage, someone has to be the one to push to make the big moves.” – Rebecca Pearson
Take this quote from someone who’s been through it all. You can think of business like a marriage in some ways. Again, it’s a commitment. But most importantly, you should know that there would come a time when you’d have to make big moves in business. Just remember that you’d have to be the one to make that push.
4. “When you make a commitment to a child, you got to stick to it.” – Randall Pearson
Here’s another quote that talks about commitment and children at that. This short line from Magical Quote sums up so simply just how you can make that commitment to your business. As laid out so plainly, when it comes to your business commitments, you just have to stick to it—no excuses. Integrity is key to your success.
5. “You got to own your choices, boys. Choose them fully and don’t look back.” – Jack Pearson
Sometimes in business, you have to stick to your guts. If you’re calling the shots, chances are you make hundreds of choices everyday that can affect your business tremendously. Trust yourself. Trust your gut. Whenever you have to make a choice for your business, choose with intention. Then go boldly towards the choices you make.
6. “We’re their parents. We do the best we can. But at the end of the day what happens to them, how they turn out, that’s bigger than us.” – Jack Pearson
What wise words from the ultimate parental example! Jack Pearson blesses us with ultimate business wisdom from this quote from Goalcast. All you can do in business is your best. There will be other variables that you just can’t control. You do your absolute best in business, and you trust that the universe will return the favor. That’s about as much as you can do sometimes.
7. “Sometimes you just got to do the right thing. You got to do the right thing, even if it’s not what you want.” – Kevin Pearson
Kevin knows very well that doing the right thing isn’t always easy to do. Sometimes, the right thing might not even be what we want to do. In business, you always have to do the right thing. Having integrity in business is far from easy, but if you have it, you’ll earn the respect of your clients and peers. That’s half the battle.
8. “Life feels like Pac-Man sometimes, I guess. It’s the same game over and over again. Same board. Same ghosts. Sometimes, you get a bunch of cherries but eventually and inevitably, those ghosts catch up with you.” – Randall Pearson
Randall is on a roll here. He’s the genius after all. The business concept from this US Magazine quote can’t be any truer. There will be times when your business life might seem redundant. Then you’ll have days so high that you’ll feel like you’re on top of the business world. Just remember that you’ll get low days too, and you’d be smart to prepare for them. Everyone in business gets a bad day.
9. “How you present yourself on the outside reflects how you feel on the inside.” – Beth Pearson
Here’s some truly practical advice from the wonderful Beth Pearson. In the business world, it matters how you present yourself. It absolutely matters what you put on, how you carry yourself, and how you act. In many ways, you want to be genuine about it, but the truth is you have to make an effort. If you don’t make an effort to put yourself together, how can you expect clients to put an effort for you?
10. “It’s better to have loved and lost, surely, but try not to lose it at all.” – William Hill
William was easily one of our favorite characters from the show. His story may have been sad, but it came full circle in the end. This quote can certainly be applied to business. If you’ve got a business idea that has been brewing in your brain for a while, go for it. You’ll never know what could happen if you don’t try. But to add to the original Tennyson quote, make sure you try not to mess up your business at the end of the day.
11. “My dad put on a tie every day because he had to. I put one on every day because I want to. It’s important you know that. Maybe I don’t run into burning buildings for a living, but to me, my work is challenging and exciting. I will not apologize for the fact that it’s hard to explain to people.” – Randall Pearson
So much has changed for Randall since season 1, and this quote may not apply to his life anymore. But we can definitely still apply this to any business entity or endeavor. If you’re going to run a business, make sure it’s something you love. Make sure that your business is something that you find enthralling and worth doing. Otherwise, you’d only be hurting yourself. Always remember to do what you love and love what you do.
12. “We don’t work when we are apart, but together baby, together we set the world on fire.” – Beth Pearson
No man is an island. Businesses are the same way. You can’t run a business solo and expect to win. Whether you’re working with a partner, a team, or just working solo with your clients, make sure you’re doing it cohesively. This quote from TV Fanatic solidifies this idea that working together—especially in business—is crucial to getting that win.
13. “You deserve it. You deserve the beautiful life you made. You deserve everything.” – William Hill
Hard work pays off. We all know that. This quote from William is a great reminder that you should pat yourself on the back from time to time. If you work hard for your business, it’ll work hard for you. Take a moment to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Always remember that you deserve to reap from what you’ve sown in your business.
14. “I’m gonna need everyone in this room to believe that only good things are going to happen today. Actually, I need you to know it.” – Jack Pearson
Jack is like a beacon of light. He’s the voice of reason when in doubt and the voice of hope when you’re lost. No matter what, you have to stay positive in business. No matter what it is that you may do, believe that good will come your way. It’s the power of positive thinking—the law of attraction. If you don’t believe in this, you’re leaving room for negativity and failure to steep in.
15. “Life is full of color. And we each get to come along and we add our own color to the painting, you know? And even though it’s not very big, the painting, you sort of have to figure that it goes on forever, you know, in each direction.” – Kevin Pearson
This is the part where Kevin explains in one monologue the entirety of what This is Us is all about. You kind of have to look at business in this way. If you’re a business owner, you’ve got your own voice and your own color to add to whatever industry you’re in. The key here is to stick to your own voice and color and magnify you’re uniqueness and strengths. Stay original. Stay true to yourself. Both you and your business could only benefit from it.
16. “I know it feels like you have all the time in the world, but you don’t. So stop playing it cool.” – William Hill
Time is always the relative factor. In business, however, time is currency. In business, there will never come a time when currency isn’t important. You will never have all the time in the world. You have to hustle and work like no other. Work hard today, so tomorrow you can enjoy the time you’re freeing up.
17. “If you really want to do this, if you really want to risk our perfectly imperfect life for something, let’s go all the way.” – Beth Pearson
Beth has always been a go-getter even when she was still a kid. This line from Beth sums up exactly how you should approach your business—you have to go all the way. It doesn’t matter if you’re just starting up or if you’ve been running the same show for 20 years. Anytime you’re putting your name on anything, you have to go at it all the way. You have to give your business all you’ve got, simple as that.
18. “You either roll up your sleeves and you fight with what you’ve got or you decide that you’re tired and you give up.” – Miguel Rivas
This quote from ET Online shows us an important moment in the show. Miguel was giving his best friend some advice that will ultimately help Jack save his relationship with Rebecca. This idea also applies in business in a sense that you should always be ready to fight for your business. Never give up your dreams and aspirations. You may sometimes feel like you’ve got no more fight left in you. That’s the time when you really have to roll up your sleeves and give it your all.
19. “When you smile, the world is a better place. See? The world just got a little better.” – Toby Damon
This particular quote applies to business in two ways. First, whether or not you’re in the service industry, make sure you always do your work with a smile. Smile even when no on is watching. It really makes the workload a lot easier. But also, this quote could mean that you should just enjoy what it is that you do. Whatever business venture you might be in, smile and enjoy it. People will notice and get attracted to you and your business.
20. “There’s no lemon so sour that you can’t make something resembling lemonade.” – Dr. Nathan Katowski
Dr. K’s line, as written on CountryLiving.com could easily be everyone’s favorite quote from This Is Us. It could be because it can apply to any facet of life. But when it comes to business, this quote applies in so many different directions. Our best business take is this: no situation is so bad that you can’t get out of it. There’s always a way out, always a way to win, even if the only tools you’ve got left are your brain and your hands. You should always make the most of what you’ve.