The Audi Q7 made its debut in the fall of 2005. It was unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Production commenced in Bratislava, Slovakia. It is a full size luxury crossover SUV and the first model hit the market for sale in 2006. The concept for development began in 2002 focusing on the Pikes Peak concept. Further development was delayed until early 2003 with the first prototypes tested in 2004. It has earned the distinction of being the world's only series production passenger car with a V12 TDI diesel engine. This model however; is not available in the United States.
It is designated as a type 4L internally with a modified Group PL71 Volkswagon platform. It is designed for on road use because of the lack of a low range transfer case. It comes in a four wheel drive with self leveling air suspension and a central locking differential.
The second generation Audi Q7 which became available in 2014 retained much of its original appearance with enhanced mechanical and technological features. The 2015 model presented a more noticeable evolution with changes in the taillights, grill, headlights and bumpers. The interior showed even more changes. The dashboard has been redesigned along with the seats, the addition of LED lighting, more colors to choose from and an infotainment component that extends to passengers in the back seat as well as the front. The new MLD Evo platform of the newer Q7 features 20 percent higher engine efficiency with a lighter platform.
These are the Audi Q7 models which are currently available in North America.
2007 Audi Q7 4.2 Quattro
Unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show and first released in 2007.
The Q7 arrived in America with a single engine-transmission combination on the spec sheet. The brand’s smooth, forceful 4.2-liter V-8 is the sole engine available at launch. With direct injection technology and four valves per cylinder, the V-8 churns out 350 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. Though it’s been tuned for better low-end torque, the strongest sensual impression the eight-cylinder leaves behind is the muted hammering it barks out above 4000 rpm.
- 6 speed shiftable automatic transmission SUV
- 4.2 litre V-8 engine, 350 hp/325 pf torque
- 14 city and 18 hwy mpg.
- Average price: $18,000.00
2008 Audi Q7
Smooth and forceful, Audi's first SUV introduced in 2006.
- The 2008 model featqures a 4.2 litre V-8 engine also available in a 3.6 V-6.
- Accelerates from zero to 60 mph in 7 seconds with a top speed of 130 mph.
- Average price: $24,888.00.
2009 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
More fuel efficiency in a clean diesel model. It's an SUV that is designed for on road use.
- Choose from either a V-6 or V-8 Engine and a turbo diesel.
- 3.6 litre V-6 delivers 280 hp with zero to 60 mpg in 8.2 seconds with the V-8 version reaching this speed in just 7 seconds.
- The top speed is 130 mph.
- Average Price: $13,500-$29,995.
2010 Audi Q7
Evolution of this SUV features more subtle appearance, enhanced on road performance and diesel fuel economy.
- Choice of 5 to 7 seats
- V-6, V-8 and diesel V-8 engines all wheel drive.
- Average price: $47,725 for the V-6 gas, diesel: 51, 725 and V-8 is $61,825.
2011 Audi Q7
Upgrades and a diesel option with a softer silhouette, spacious interior, leather buckets and third row seating. This SUV also offers rear side airbags, lane departure and blind spot warning systems.
- Supercharged 3.0 litre V-6 engine
- Choice of 5 or 7 seat models
- Accelerates from zero to sixty in seven seconds.
- All Wheel drive and suspension that supports sport, comfort and automatic modes for enhanced off road performance.
- Average price: $17,991 - $36,900
2012 Audi Q7
The 2012 edition features a sleek exterior with a finely trimmed interior with the option for a third seat. Handles like a car but has excellent towing ability when needed. More rugged off road capability with the luxury of a car. panoramic sunroof for improved viewing and a new MMI interface and nav system integrated with Google Earth and local search with rollng WiFi hotspot capacity.
- Powerful 3.0 ltre supercharged V-6 engine with choice of 2 power levels. 280 hp for base version or 333 hp for the upscale trims.
- Also has a TDI diesel V-6 opion with 225 hp with 406 pounds of torque.
- All wheel drive SUV.
- Reaches zero to sixty in under seven seconds.
- Average price: $19,992 - $41,469
2013 Audi Q7 Quattro AWD
This luxury crossover keeps its focus on comfortable seating and on road handling. This model features s2leek controls with climate and audio controls for a comfortable environmennt.
- The engine is a 3.0 supercharged V-6 available in two power levels.
- Base engine generates 280 hp iwth the option to upgrade to a 333 hp version.
- Available n V-6 EDI diesel with 240 hp
- Average price: $24,775 - $49,237
2014 Audi Q7
Luxury SUV with a roomy interior and enhanced technology with reasonable towing capability for excellence in on road and off road performance. AWD for use in all types of weather and road conditions for improved safety and handling capability. Clean and sleeker control appearance. Panoramic sunroof for brighter interior on sunny days.
- The engine is a 3.0 litre supercharged V-6 with 280 hp.
- Option for TDI model with 3.0 litre turbo diesel V-6 with 333 hp.
- Average price: $29,900 - $52,991
2015 Audi Q7
High responsiveness and comfort on the road with best performance in on road conditions. All wheel drive makes it a high performer in snow and ice. Spacious premium cabin with good towing capability. Lateral support in seat design to reduce leg fatigue.
- The engine choices are a 3.0T with 280 hp; 3.0 litre supercharged V-6 and the TDI 3.0 litre turbo diesel V-6; and the S line with 333 hp.
- The EDI returns a zero to sixty rating in 7.7 seconds.
- Average price: $37,037 - $62,900
2016 Audi Q7 plug in hybrid
The drivetrain is borrowed from the Porsche Cayeene S E Hybrid. A sproty SUV that features the e-tron badge without a lot of differentiation from diesel and gas models except for the extra fuel cap. The real difference is the electric motor that is included in the drive train.
- The engine is a 3.0 litre supercharged V-6 with 333 hp and the electric motor adds 95 hp.
- Average price is:$ 65000
2017 Audi Q7
The new 2017 edition features a sportier look that more closely resembles a car. It includes a finely detailed cabin with the benefits of a lighter weight and improved fuel efficiency.
- The 2017 version launches with one powertrain, a 3.0 TFSI supercharged gasoline V-6 with 333 hp and 325 pound feet of torque.
- Eight speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic manual control and adaptive air suspension.
- Average price: $54,800
What the future holds
Plans are in motion for later versions of the Q7 that will feature a 2.0 litre supercharged inline 4, with a new EDI diesel and a e-tron quattro model for the next production year. The powertrains will incorporate an 8 speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic manual control with the option for adaptive air suspension with all road and lift/all road modes. Greater wheel articulation will be realized with up to 9.3 inches of ground clearance for a total lift of 2.4 inches or lowering of up to 1.2 inches for faster highway speeds.
Written by Garrett Parker
Read more posts by Garrett Parker