Quartz countertop is an inexact term. Yes, there are quartz countertops made using quarried slabs of said stone. However, most examples refer to various kinds of engineered stone, with some examples containing much more quartz than others. Due to this issue, interested individuals need to make sure that they know exactly what they are getting for their particular quartz countertop, lest they end up paying based on hollow assumptions rather than the reality of things.
For those who are curious, engineered stone refers to a kind of composite material made out of crushed stone held together using a binder. As a result, about 10 percent of their volume is the binder, while the other 90 percent of their volume is a mix of materials. In some cases, this means a fair amount of crushed quartz. However, it isn't uncommon for engineered stone to include crushed granite, marble, ceramic, glass, and even waste materials. This isn't a bad thing because this means that said materials will be put to a useful purpose instead of being tossed out into a landfill, but interested individuals should nonetheless factor this information into their decision-making processes.
Why Should You Consider Getting Quartz Countertops?
There are a number of reasons why people should consider quartz countertops for their homes. For example, engineered stone can come in a wide range of colors, thus making them well-suited for a wide range of looks in a wide range of settings. This is important because most materials look their best under particular circumstances, meaning that engineered stone is a more versatile material than most. Moving on, engineered stone is very tough as well. They can be damaged by prolonged exposure to excessive amounts of heat, but otherwise, there aren't a lot of things that can eat into their value over time, which makes them particularly useful for the kitchen where surfaces will be exposed to water and other potentially corrosive substances on a regular basis. Moreover, since engineered stone isn't porous, this make it even better for said environments because it won't be able to harbor as much bacteria as its counterparts. Something that can have critical consequences for food preparation.
With that said, engineered stone has its issues as well. For example, it tends to be pretty heavy, meaning that while it can be used in a wide range of places, it needs the proper installation for it to hold up. Furthermore, it should be mentioned that engineered stone needs to be installed by professionals, meaning that it isn't something that interested individuals should handle on their own but should instead be entrusted to people with the right expertise, the right experience, and the right equipment.
What Do Quartz Countertops Cost?
Regardless, one factor that will interest people looking for new countertops is that quartz countertops tend to be more expensive than their granite counterparts. In short, the cost of quartz counterparts is around $75 per square foot on average without considering the cost of installation. Said figure can range between $50 to $60 per square foot on the lower end of things to $70 to $100 on the higher end of things. Once the cost of installation is factored in as well, the average cost shoots up to $150 to $280 per square foot, meaning that a single quartz countertop of around 25 square feet can cost somewhere between $1,200 and $2,700 from start to finish.
Of course, this won't provide interested individuals with more than a very general idea of the costs involved when it comes to quartz countertops. As a result, if they are thinking about giving their homes a new look through the use of quartz countertops, they should make sure to seek out a qualified contractor who can actually give them something more specific for the particular project that they are interested in. As always, those who are planning to get started with a renovation project should make sure to look into their potential contractors to make sure that said individuals are both reliable and reputable people who can be counted upon to live up to their promises. In this as in other things that involve significant amounts of money, being thorough can do a great deal to prevent potential complications.
Written by Garrett Parker
Read more posts by Garrett Parker