Pizza. It's an American staple. We all have our favorite kind, too. Some of us go for thin crust while others prefer a heartier, thicker dough. Everyone has their favorites toppings, too. From sausage to pepperoni and black olives to...dare we say...anchovies, we all have our own idea of the perfect pizza.
But come September 5th, National Cheese Pizza Day, it's time to hold the toppings but this doesn't mean you can't get extra cheese on your yummy cheese pizza.
To celebrate this day, go to your favorite pizzeria or order in for cheese pizza. Take it to the next level and have a cheese pizza picnic in your backyard or eat your cheese pizza while watching your favorite movie. You can really turn National Cheese Pizza day into something fun for families, friends, couples, and people of all ages.
To further celebrate this day, we've put together some crazy facts about the pizza industry you're sure to love - but not more than pizza. No, never more than delicious pizza, especially loaded with cheese. Can you already taste it? Well, before you reach for the phone or your car keys, read on to discover these crazy facts.
- Antica Pizzeria is the very first known pizzeria in Italy. It opened its doors in 1738.
- October has been designated official National Pizza Month. That means you can eat pizza everyday for dinner if you want. Breakfast and lunch, too. We insist.
- The pizza industry is big business, bringing in $30 billion a year. That's a lot of yummy pizzas being eaten all over the United States. How much do think you spend of pizza in any given month? Multiply that by thousands of other people and $30 billion a year really makes sense.
- Frozen or fresh? If you go with frozen, you're choice is one of one billion frozen pizzas bought every year in the United States. If freshly made is your forte, then that pizza you last ordered is one of three billion sold every year.
- Of all the restaurants in the United States, pizzerias make up 17 percent. That's a lot of pizzerias! In most cities, you're likely to find one around every block, along with Asian cuisine and coffee. What a strange combination. Anyway, back to the pizza!
- What are the most popular toppings on pizzas in India? You guessed it! Pickled ginger, minced mutton, and tofu. That doesn't sound that bad, actually.
- Men are more likely to order meat as a topping on their pizza while women tend to stick with the vegetarian options. I guess women really are always on a diet and trying to stay healthy while men go straight for the artery clogging meat.
- The most popular pizza topping in the United States is pepperoni, comprising 36 percent of all pizzas. But, remember, on September 5th, no pepperoni. We mean it!
- The busiest time of year for Pizzerias is during the Super Bowl. It's fast, it's easy, and you can eat it while you're watching the game. Also, it's and inexpensive way to feed a whole bunch of family and friends who come to your house to watch the game.
- Every person in the United States, on average, consumes 23 pounds of pizza per year. What can we say? We love pizza.
Now that we've given you some fun facts and told you all about National Cheese Pizza day, we hope you'll rally your friends and family together to dine on cheese pizza this September 5th.
What's the point of celebrating this day? The fact that pizza without any toppings except cheese is still better than a stick of broccoli, a brusselsprouts, or most other foods that come in the color green. In fact, cheese pizza is better than most foods in general!
So, put down your forks and pick up your paper plates and napkins and give a shout out to cheese pizza on National Cheese Pizza Day this September 5th. Be sure to mark your calendars. We can't be responsible for you disappointment if you happen to forget. Oh, and don't forger to pick up or order your favorite soda to go with your cheese pizza. Nothing pairs better than soda and pizza.
Written by Garrett Parker
Read more posts by Garrett Parker