Apples are a fall favorite, and there's no better way to enjoy them than by picking your own. Illinois is home to many Orchards where you can select your apples. They also offer a variety of other fall activities like hayrides, corn mazes, and pumpkin picking. Here are the ten best places to go apple picking in Illinois:
10. Rendleman Orchards ( 9680 IL-127, Alto Pass, IL, 62905)
The Rendleman Orchards have been around since 1873 and are one of the oldest orchards in Illinois. The Orchard is located in the Shawnee National Forest, making it a great place to enjoy the fall foliage. They offer a variety of apples, including Zestar, Honeycrisp, Jonathan Apples, and more. According to their website, they also have a wide selection of pumpkins, gourds, and squash.
9. Curran's Orchard (6385 Kilburn Avenue, Rockford, IL, 61101)
Curran's Orchard is a family-owned business that has been around since the early 1900s. The Orchard does not use any pesticides on their apples, making them taste even more delicious. They also offer a variety of other apple-related products, such as apple cider. If you love apples, then you know that ones without pesticides are the way to go. They are open every weekday starting from 7 am.
8. Valley Orchard (811 E State Street, Cherry Valley, IL 61016)
Valley Orchard is set on 35 acres of picturesque land in Cherry Valley, IL. With over 5,000 apple trees to choose from, you're sure to find the perfect spot to pick your apples. Check out their website for information on picking times and availability. From all the 5000 apple trees, here are some of the favorites:
- Crimson Crisp: A cross between a Braeburn and Crimson Topaz, this bright red apple is crisp and juicy with a sweet-tart flavor.
- Honeycrisp: This variety is a favorite for its sweet, honeyed flavor and crisp texture. It's perfect for eating out of hand or using pies and other baked goods.
- Golden Delicious: As the name suggests, this apple is golden in color with a sweet, slightly tart flavor. It's perfect for snacking on or using in recipes.
- Jonagold: A cross between a Jonathan and a Golden Delicious, this apple is red and green with a sweet-tart flavor. It's excellent for eating out of hand or using pies and other desserts.
7. Jonamac Orchard (19412 Shabbona Road, Malta, IL, 60150)
Jonamac Orchard is a family-owned and operated farm that has been around for over 30 years. They offer a wide variety of apples and apple cider, apple wine, and other seasonal fruits and vegetables. They also have a corn maze, hayrides, and a petting zoo. The Orchard is open from September through October and is located about an hour and a half west of Chicago.
6. Tanners Orchard (740 State Route 40, Speer, IL, 61479)
The Tanners is a historic orchard that has been around since 1947. This place is perfect for starting your family tradition. The Orchard grows over 11,000 trees and 17 varieties of apples. You can also find a large assortment of gifts, food, and other fun activities on the property. According to their website, their 40 acres will keep the entire family busy for the day. They also have a farm market and an Apple Bin Bakery on site.
5. Okay Valley Orchard (724 Cr 1750N, Sullivan, IL, 61951)
The Okay Valley Orchard is one of Illinois's best places to go apple picking. They have a great variety of apples, and they also have peaches, plums, and pears. They have 1500 apple trees that grow 27 different apples, peaches, plums, and pears. The Orchard is located in Sullivan, IL, and its address is 724 Cr 1750N.
4. Plank Road Orchard (50W737 Plank Road, Sycamore, IL, 60178)
Plank Road Orchard is one of Illinois's best places to go apple picking. This Orchard is located in Sycamore, IL, and has many apples. They also have amazing apple cider donuts that are a must-try and are definitely worth the trip. The Orchard is open from September 1st to November 3rd, so check it out.
3. All Seasons Apple Orchard (4510 IL-176, Woodstoock, IL, 60098)
Looking for a great place to go apple picking in Illinois, look no further than All Seasons Apple Orchard. This family-friendly destination is perfect for a day trip and offers a variety of activities for everyone to enjoy. In addition to picking apples, you can also take a wagon ride around the farm, visit the petting zoo, and more. The Orchard is open from September through October, so plan your visit soon.
2. Liberty Apple Orchard (8308 Kuhn Station Road, Edwardsville, IL, 62025)
The Liberty Apple Orchard is located in Edwardsville, Illinois. This Orchard has 12 different varieties of apples for you to choose from. The Liberty Apple Orchard is also home to a quaint one-room schoolhouse store full of treasures. That means you will be able to enjoy yourself with your family and also find some unique items to take home with you.
1. Edwards Apple Orchard (7061 Centerville Road, Poplar Grove, IL, 61065)
Edwards Apple Orchard is one of Illinois' best places to go apple picking, offering different apples. With over 50 different types of apples available for picking, you're sure to find the perfect one for your needs. They offer a variety of apples, including Gala, Redmac, Jonamac, and Jonathan. The Orchard is great for family fun, as they offer a corn maze, hayrides, and more. You can also find fresh apple cider, donuts, and other goodies at their on-site farm market. Be sure to visit Edwards Apple Orchard soon for a fun-filled day of apple picking.
According to the Healthline website, apples have many health benefits. Apples are a good source of fiber, which can help regulate digestion. They are also high in antioxidants, which can help protect cells from damage. Apples can also help boost your immune system and help you stay hydrated. So, apples are delicious, but they're also good for you. Be sure to visit one of the best places to go apple picking in Illinois soon and enjoy all the benefits that apples offer.
Written by Liz Flynn
Read more posts by Liz Flynn