Siding is the material that is put on the exterior face of a building's wall. Primarily, it serves to protect the wall, which is important because constant exposure to the elements can eat into its useful lifespan at a frightening pace. Something that is particularly true in harsher climates. However, it should be noted that siding can serve an ornamental purpose as well. In this case, the siding plays a pivotal role in shaping the viewer's first impression of the building, which can have a profound impact on its likability and thus its fair value on the local real estate market.
Vinyl siding refers to a popular kind of plastic siding. For those who are curious, about 80 percent of vinyl siding's weight is made out of PVC, while the remaining 20 percent consists of ingredients that provide it with a wide range of useful properties. For example, some of these ingredients serve to make it more impact-resistance. In contrast, other ingredients might give it a gloss that pleases the senses. On the whole, vinyl siding is very popular, so much so that it is the most popular choice for siding for residential consumers that can be found in the United States and Canada.
Why Do You Want to Use Vinyl Siding?
There are a number of reasons that vinyl siding has managed to become so popular in the United States and Canada. For the most part, they are very practical in nature.
First, vinyl siding offers interested individuals a wide range of options when it comes to the look of their residential buildings. In part, this is because the material can come in hundreds and hundreds of colors. However, it should also be noted that there is vinyl siding that has been made in imitation of various other materials, thus satisfying those who prefer the looks of those other materials.
Second, vinyl siding can retain its color for very long periods of time, which is but one example of its exceptional toughness. Simply put, vinyl siding can retain its strength in spite of constant exposure to excessive moisture, extremes in temperature, and other phenomenon that can happen because of bad weather. As a result, while the material is an excellent choice for any homeowner, it is particularly useful for people living in places that are prone to suffering from the worst examples of it.
Third, vinyl siding is one of the most low-maintenance kinds of siding that can be found out there. This is because there is no real need to perform maintenance on the material to prolong its useful lifespan as much as possible. Instead, the most that interested individuals will be expected to do is to hose it off from time to time, which is about as minimal as such tasks can get.
Finally, it should be mentioned that vinyl siding offers exceptional value for interested individuals. Partly, this is because of the lengthiness of its useful lifespan, and partly, this is because of its very reasonable cost.
How Much Does Vinyl Siding Cost?
In short, the installation of vinyl siding will cost interested individuals an average of $9,000 to $10,000. However, there is a fair amount of range, which is why they shouldn't be surprised to see prices that run from $5,500 to $14,000 depending on a number of factors. On the extremes, it isn't unknown for interested individuals to get vinyl siding installed for as low as $2,000 and as high as $23,000, though those figures are real outliers, meaning that they shouldn't count on being able to find them.
The cost of vinyl siding installation can be separated into a number of components. Generally speaking, the material is the cheapest option out of those that are available to interested individuals. However, thicker, more textured material with more ornamentation can see a significant price jump compared to their simplest and most straightforward counterparts. As for labor, well, suffice to say that the installation of metal siding is cheaper, but otherwise, the installation of vinyl siding is the cheapest option because it doesn't take a lot of specialized tools to get done. Due to this, the cost of installation tends to be around $4 per square foot, though this is a figure that can see a fair amount of variation as well depending on the expertise, the experience, and the competitiveness of the local market.
Written by Garrett Parker
Read more posts by Garrett Parker