The History of and Story Behind the Chrysler Logo
Chrysler is an Italian-American automobile manufacturer that is a subsidiary of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC. The Chrysler company was founded in 1925 by Walter Chrysler using the remains of the Maxwell Motor Company. By 1928, the company had expanded when Chrysler acquired Dodge Brothers and Fargo Trucks. They also created the DeSoto and Plymouth brands. Like all major manufacturers, branding of the company is an essential element of making your product recognizable and creating a desirable image that people are interested in buying. The Chrysler logo is an important element of this company’s image and it has an interesting history.
When Walter Chrysler founded his company, he wanted his cars to be in the same league as Ford’s Lincoln and Cadillacs. This meant that he needed a logo that was special and gave the impression of a high-quality brand. Oliver Clark was part of the engineering team and he designed two initial logos in 1924. The intention was to use these two logos for many years to come.
The original logo that Clark designed represented a wax seal that was intended to symbolize the premium quality of the vehicles produced by Chrysler. On the lower right side of the wax seal emblem was a blue ribbon.
The second creation by Oliver Clark was a silver winged figure for the radiator of the cars. Again, this emblem was symbolic. The wings were chosen to represent the speed of Mercury the Roman god. Initially, these two logos were used separately. However, in the 1930s, the two symbols were combined for the first time when the wax seal was put at the center of the silver wings.
In the 1940s, Chrysler decided to change the logo and it was redesigned as a heraldic shield topped with a crown. However, the original two logos were included in the design as the shield featured the wax seal and the silver wings were supporting the shield, The Chrysler inscription was also added to the new design.
Over the next forty years, Chrysler experimented with variations of the silver wings and the shield to create logos with a different appearance. The main theme and symbolism remained the same during this period despite the design changes.
Chrysler also introduced the famous Chrysler Pentastar emblem. Unlike the logo, this was not used to decorate the radiator grills of their cars, although it was on the hoods of some models, as it was intended only as a corporate symbol of the company. The Chrysler Pentastar emblem is still used today by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
In 1980, Chrysler decided they needed to update their image and redesigned their logo again with the intention of giving it a modern feel. To create this new and modern look, they experimented with different fonts before deciding to take the logo design back to its roots.
They got rid of the heraldic shield completely and designed a logo with a wax seal at the center of silver wings, just like the original combined logo used during the 1930s. From the mid-1990s, all the cars manufactured by Chrysler featured the silver wings with the wax seal embedded into an oval at the center.
Chrysler was acquired by Fiat in 2014 to create the company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LCC. This led to further redesigning of the logo. The logo the designers came up with is the one that is still in use to this day.
The current logo still features the silver wings. However, the designers changed the appearance of them to give them a more modern and sleek appearance. The logos that are used on the cars and shaped and feature different shades of silver, from light silver to a silver that is almost black in the shaded areas.
The wax seal was completely removed from the design and replaced with the word Chrysler in capital letters. The car brand’s name is on a background of navy blue. This color was chosen to represent the blue ribbon that was used in the original Chrysler logo design.
The corporate logo of the company which is now Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LCC is the capital letters ‘FCA’ in blue. The ‘A’ is designed with the horizontal line removed to give the impression of an arrow pointing upwards.