Motorcycle grips are important accessories to ensure that riding is both safe and comfortable. The longer your trip, the more important the quality and suitability of the grip for your individual needs becomes. There are quite a few different types and styles to choose from. This can make it difficult to know which will be the best choice. If you're unsure about what the best Harley Grips are, we have some information and tips to help you find the right pair the first time around.
While there are quite a few other brands on the market today, Harley-Davidson is an iconic brand that prides itself on the high-quality and durability of its products. This is why some Harley-riders insist on name brand equipment and accessories. First, it's important to know a little bit about the the different types of motorcycle grips with their limitations and advantages.
Kinds of motorcycle grips
- Heated Grips - If you ride in cool climates, or during the night when temperatures can drop even in warmer climates, you might benefit from heated grips. This type of grips are made with a unique wiring setup that is connected to the battery of your motorcycle. They are adjustable so you can change the temperature setting of the grips, depending on the season and the temperature outside. They're among the most comfortable.
- Billet Rubber Grips - The most popular type of grips are those that are made with billet rubber styling. This sturdy and durable material blends rubber and metal material with various formulations of the two. What makes them so popular is that they are both functional and stylish. Billet rubber grips are usually anodized, and they are available in a variety of colors and styles. If durability and comfort are your requirements, you may want to consider the Billet Rubber type grips.
- Iso Grips - The third most common motorcycle grips are Iso Grips. These are designed with a special feature that isolates vibration to relieve the amount of tension and pressure that is built up in the hands on long rides. They're recommended for anyone who desires to lessen the impact of bike vibration and give their hands a more comfortable holding environment with less stress on the soft tissues and joints.
Features for consideration
Before you decide which Harley-Davidson Grips are the best option, it's wise to consider the various features of each, and the impact that they may have on your comfort
- Contouring of the grip - Prior to settling, think about the contouring of the grips. How will they feel in your hands? Some have a middle bulge where the palms rest, others are grooved at the fingers. Which do you prefer when going on a long ride? It's recommended that you go with the most ergonomic to lessen hand pressure.
- Thickness of the grip - Grips come in thinner and thicker sizes. Those that are the thicker offer more padding in most cases, but will they fit your hands more comfortably? The fit of the grip has everything to do with the thickness. Before you make your choice, determine the best thickness in accordance with the size of your hands. Larger hands can accommodate thicker grips better than smaller hands.
- Other factors - Other factors that should go into your decision include the quality of the grip. It should be made of high-quality materials so it will provide you with years of dependable service. Also think about the best grip pattern for hand comfort. You'll find a variety of patterns from smooth to textured. Finally, make sure that the grips you choose fit in with the style of the motorcycle you're riding.
Here are some recommendations based on reviews we've read
5. Silencer Hand Grips
The Silencer style is made with nickel plating to create a stylish and burnished finish. It's best for use with satin paint colors. These comfortable grips offer a custom look and measure 1.4" in diameter with precision drilled surfaces that are comfortable in the palm of your hands.
4. Harley-Davidson Burst Collection Hand Grips
This HD pair of hand grips is from the Burst Collection. The colors are stylish and fashionable in a rich tuxedo black that goes well with chrome and satin aluminum finishes. The elegant black-filled Bar & Shield logo make quite a statement. The grips measure 1.6" in diameter with a glue less design for easy removal for maintenance. The grips are easy to install and come with instructions.
3. Brass Hand Grips
The Brass HD hand grips feature a blacked-out aesthetic with chrome covering in the Harley-Davidson tradition. The styling is minimalist and the grips are made of solid brass. The natural antique finish changes as it gains a patina over time. The grips are 1.5" in diameter with a glue less design for easy removal for servicing. They're easy to install and maintenance and come with instructions.
2. Dominion Hand Grips
The HD Dominion hand grips feature a bold appearance. They're made of aluminum and rubber with a gloss black finish. The surface has a rugged texture that is customizable for creating your own look. These grips are designed for use with 2015 XG Harley-Davidson models and later with the exception of the XG750A. They're sold by the pair with left and right hand installation instructions.
1. i5 Chrome Skull Black Rubber Hand Grips
These hand grips are made in the iconic chrome skull styling. They're designed exclusively for use with the Super Wide Glide V-Rod, VRSC, FXD, FLD, Sportster, Road King, Softail Dyna, Electra Tour, And Hydra Harley-Davidson motorcycles. They're made of high-quality rubber and metal.
Written by Benjamin Smith
Read more posts by Benjamin Smith