When you want to look your very best, the most expensive makeup brands are usually a good starting point. However, are they actually worth the money, or are they simply overpriced because of the celebrity endorsements that they have?
We have a list of the 21 most expensive makeup brands, making it possible for you to find great makeup regardless of what the price may be. We’ll tell you about the price, the products they offer, and help you to understand a bit more about the brand.
How We Compiled This List
While the most expensive makeup brands can vary from year to year as well as the product you’re comparing, we’ve taken an overview of the top brands from around the globe. This allows us to make an honest list so that you can see which brands charge the most for their foundation, lipstick, moisturizer, and other products.
There are a few sources we used:
- Brand websites: We looked at the makeup brand websites to find out about their pricing, who they are, and what they have to offer.
- Beauty blogs: Various beauty blogs have talked about the makeup brands, including whether the pricing is worth it for what you get. Many of the blogs also discuss the latest celebrity endorsements.
- Reviews: We’ve read many of the different reviews and discussions to see what makeup users have to say about the most expensive brands of makeup.
- News sites: Various news sites will talk about makeup brands, including some of the most recent mergers, acquisitions, and such. This will impact the brand and how much it is worth.
Here Are the 21 Most Expensive Makeup Brands
With so many options on the market, it’s important to know about the most expensive makeup brands. This will help you to see the value in what’s available and determine what your budget for makeup should really look like.
21. La Prairie
- Price range: $150 – $280
- Signature products: Skin Caviar
- What makes it special: Products are infused with caviar
- Target market: Wealthy women looking to achieve a glowing appearance
- Website: https://www.laprairie.com/en-us/makeup-overview
La Prairie is a luxury makeup brand based out of Switzerland. Many of the products are infused with caviar, which accounts for the more expensive pricing found within their skincare and makeup products. They offer a variety of textures, finishes, and shades to provide the best possible complexion.
La Prairie focuses on the basics – skincare, foundation, and brushes. They do not offer eye makeup, lipstick, and other products. Hello Giggles’ review explains how the products are worth the price because of the SPF protection and anti-aging properties.
20. Cle de Peau Beaute
- Price range: $60 – $270
- Signature products: Concealer SPF 27, Radiant Fluid Foundation
- What makes it special: it’s an iconic Japanese brand
- Target market: Fashion connoisseurs
- Website: https://www.cledepeaubeaute.com/
The company is Japanese, but the name is French for “the key to skin’s beauty.” They use some of the most innovative skincare technology to enhance the complexion with the makeup that is chosen. One of the reasons why it’s so highly sought after is that the foundation is feather-light and won’t settle into the fine lines and wrinkles, making it ideal for women over 40.
Some of the bigger names who brag about wearing the brand include Jennifer Aniston and Nicole Kidman. Byrdie’s reviews of its new concealer also go on about how it’s better than even their cult classic concealer.
19. Tom Ford Beauty
- Price range: $35 – $1250
- Signature products: Matte Concealer
- What makes it special: it’s a top designer
- Target market: Luxury makeup lovers
- Website: https://www.tomford.com/beauty
It was inevitable that Tom Ford would launch its own beauty line eventually. It had a collection under the Estee Lauder name in 2005. It wasn’t until 2011 that they went forward with their own cosmetics collection. Makeup lovers around the world have flocked to the Tom Ford products because of not only the variety of products but also the fanciness of the tubes and containers.
Street Stylis covered why the Tom Ford Beauty products are so expensive, and it comes down to the luxury formulas that go into the products. The good news is that the price is worth it, which is also why many of the products are in such high demand.
18. Armani Beauty
- Price range: $33 – $185
- Signature products: Silk Foundation
- What makes it special: its luxury formulas
- Target market: celebrities and those who believe in luxury
- Website: www.giorgioarmanibeauty-usa.com
Armani Beauty continues to focus on the luxury brand that Giorgio Armani has been building on for decades. The brand is focused on sustainability and achieving carbon neutrality. Packaging is recyclable and some is even refillable.
The brand is known for its products that are formulated in such a way that they don’t cause breakouts. It’s why it has become a favorite for such celebrities as Maude Apatow and Sydney Sweeney. Byrdie’s recent review also discusses the beautiful coverage of the foundation and how it lasts all day long, making it worth the price.
17. Gucci Beauty
- Price range: $33 – $475
- Signature products: Satin lipstick
- What makes it special: It’s a well-known luxury brand
- Target market: Anyone who appreciates high-end products
- Website: https://www.gucci.com/
Gucci is well-known for its luxury products, including clothing, jewelry, and fragrances. The beauty line has crept up on several occasions over the years but went through a full product relaunch in 2019. The brand focuses on beauty inclusivity, and it has been on a number of celebrities, too – including Salma Hayek.
The Who What Wear blog discusses how affordable and luxurious the products are, which makes them obtainable for just about anyone. Beyond the Gucci brand, expect long-wearing products and vintage-style packaging from everything that they launch from their website. You’ll also find the brand carried in top department stores.
16. YSL Beauty
- Price range: $28 – $299
- Signature products: custom lip color creator, extreme volume mascara
- What makes it special: there’s a cult following of the brand
- Target market: middle-and high-class fashion connoisseurs
- Website: https://yslbeautyus.com/
YSL Beauty has been creating makeup, skincare, and fragrance products for years. They are committed to a number of things. As their website explains, they want to protect and restore the environment, reduce violence, and reduce their impact on the planet.
The company has developed a cult following over the years because of its concealers and its innovative products. Zoe Kravitz, Katy Perry, and Jessica Chastain are a few of the celebrities who proudly talk about YSL Beauty. Additionally, the company offers shopping perks, unlike many of the other more expensive makeup brands, which also provide exclusive access to new products.
15. Dior Beauty
- Price range: $29 – $245
- Signature products: Addict Lip Glow
- What makes it special: it’s a luxury brand
- Target market: Online shoppers who want a designer brand
- Website: https://www.dior.com/en_us/beauty
The Dior Beauty line has been out since 1953. Over the years, they have created a long line of products to include everything from concealers to lipsticks. The online shopping experience is superior, which includes not only free shipping but also everything comes gift-wrapped.
Dior has attracted a number of celebrities over the years – including more recent ones such as Anya Taylor-Joy and Kylie Jenner. InStyle has done a number of reviews and talks positively about the products, including one of the Le Serum to improve lines and wrinkles.
14. Charlotte Tilbury
- Price range: $26 – $140
- Signature products: eye makeup palettes
- What makes it special: product subscriptions
- Target market: Millennials
- Website: https://www.charlottetilbury.com/
Charlotte Tilbury has a large following for its luxury brand. While there are a number of expensive makeup brands on this list, this is one of the newer brands, having launched in 2013. Since then, it has developed skincare and makeup that is not only cruelty-free but also infused with high-quality ingredients.
Anyone familiar with the brand will be quick to notice the rose gold packaging. There’s a product subscription option online that offers discounts on future orders. The UK Brand has also managed to get a number of celebrity endorsements ranging from Drew Barrymore to Blake Lively.
13. Pat McGrath Labs
- Price range: $29 – $230
- Signature products: eye shadow palettes
- What makes it special: pro makeup artists swear by it
- Target market: 20+ audience
- Website: https://www.patmcgrath.com/
Pat McGrath Labs debuted across social media in 2015. Pat McGrath is a celebrity makeup artist who has been focused on creating a number of different eyeshadow palettes, lipsticks, and more – all in amazing cases with vibrant colors. It was also recently revealed that Taylor Swift is a diehard fan of the luxury makeup brand.
Pat McGrath Labs has had a lot of success as an online brand and debuted many of its products on social media. They have also moved into Sephora, making it easier to acquire the product lines. A Woman’s Confidence blog also reveals that the products are well worth the money because of how well they blend among other amazing properties.
- Price range: $30 – $250
- Signature products: Ultrawear All-Day Makeup
- What makes it special: it’s synonymous with luxury
- Target market: Wealthy women who are 40+
- Website: https://www.chanel.com/us/makeup
Chanel is a brand that makes it onto every list of luxury, whether it’s clothing, jewelry, fragrance, or makeup. While the company is close to 100 years old, it remains modern with its approach because of the innovative designs.
Many of the products cater to undereye concealer, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and more. There are comprehensive product lines that focus on all aspects of beauty, ranging from lips to foundation to nail polish. The Chanel website also explains that their research department focuses on science and sensory innovation.
11. Victoria Beckham Beauty
- Price range: $28 – $60
- Signature products: Highlighter Stick, Contour Stylus
- What makes it special: it’s a cruelty-free product created by a Spice Girl
- Target market: Women who want a fuss-free approach to makeup
- Website: https://victoriabeckhambeauty.com/
It’s not surprising that Posh Spice of the Spice Girls would be the one to create a celebrity beauty line. Unlike some of the other celebrity beauty products out there, she truly focuses on curating high-quality products that are also cruelty-free.
With over 900k followers on Instagram, the beauty line has reached a significant amount of popularity. There is what’s known as “Bitten Lip,” which is a stain that lasts for the whole day and doesn’t dehydrate the lips – and this may be the most popular product. Since the brand only launched in 2019, it’s expected that bigger and better things are still to come.
- Price range: $26 – $165
- Signature products: Sunkissed Natural Healthy Glow Powder
- What makes it special: They’re one of the oldest beauty companies
- Target market: women who are 50+
- Website: https://www.guerlain.com/
Guerlain has a right to be considered one of the most expensive luxury brands of makeup, and that’s because it’s been around since 1840. They are credited with inventing bronzer, so if you love that product, this is the brand that you should be thanking for it.
With the brand being older, it has often reached an older market. However, that has changed in 2023 with a new focus on digital marketing, fashion collaborations, and more. They have also had a significant amount of success with their new KissKiss Bee Glow Honey Tint Lip Balm, which has allowed them to reach younger audiences. Expect to hear a lot more about this luxury brand in the near future.
- Price range: $50 – $307
- Signature products: Nutritive Lip Balm, Anti-Aging Fluid
- What makes it special: it uses fruit extracts
- Target market: those who love French cosmetics
- Website: https://www.sisley-paris.com/
Sisley-Paris is a high-end French company that is known to use a number of plant-based ingredients, which include not only fruit extract but also mint and other extracts. Crayons, sponge-tipped concealers, and more make the products easy to use.
Grazia Magazine has covered the brand, too, including why so many celebrities love the products, including Emma Stone, Madonna, and others.
8. Christian Louboutin Beauty
- Price range: $40 – $355
- Signature products: Slimstick Rouge Stiletto, Liquid Eyeshadow
- What makes it special: It’s a well-known luxury brand
- Target market: Those who are already familiar with the brand
- Website: https://us.christianlouboutin.com/us_en/beauty/
The red-soled heel is what Christian Louboutin is best known for, but the beauty line is exquisite as well – and all of the products are in awe-inspiring packaging. Lipsticks are sold in tubes that look like antiques, and charms are available to add a personal touch. Nail polishes look a lot like the high stiletto.
Allure was quick to talk about the brand’s lipstick, which is capable of moisturizing and not drying out the lips. While the products are expensive, they are also well worth it.
7. Hermes Beauty
- Price range: $43 – $350
- Signature products: Illuminating powder, blotting papers
- What makes it special: they encompass many aspects of beauty within the brand
- Target market: Women who want a complete luxury go-to brand
- Website: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/category/make-up/#|
Hermes encompasses a wide range of beauty products, ranging from blotting papers to refillable lipsticks. The brand stands out with its iconic orange boxes – and the brand continues to nail the packaging with its makeup line.
The Hermes website also discusses some of its popular products, and through “limited edition” items, they are able to boost the hype.
6. Valentino Beauty
- Price range: $25 – $240
- Signature products: 24-Hour Wear Liquid Foundation
- What makes it special: it is highly personalized
- Target market: Luxury seekers
- Website: https://www.valentino-beauty.us/
Valentino is a well-known luxury brand, although they are still new to the makeup scene. They offer a number of ways to personalize the makeup, including packaging that is engravable. Additionally, lipstick is refillable.
One of the ways that Valentino was successful with its makeup launch is by becoming TikTok famous – and eOnline discusses how it’s able to hold up to the criticism.
5. Westman Atelier
- Price range: $32 – $750
- Signature products: Face Trace Contour Stick, Baby Cheeks Blush Stick
- What makes it special: everything is clean
- Target market: Women seeking luxurious cosmetics
- Website: https://www.westman-atelier.com
Gucci Westman is a well-known celebrity makeup artist, so it made sense for him to launch his own makeup line in 2018. There are a number of celebrities who instantly supported the brand, including Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Hudson.
The formulas are clean and easy to use. The ingredients include jojoba oil, Vitamin C, and more to help the skin rather than causing breakouts. Many of the products are in stick form, making them easy to apply.
4. Estee Lauder
- Price range: $12-$435
- Signature products: Advanced Night Repair Serum, Double Wear Foundation
- What makes it special: There’s a focus on skin rejuvenation
- Target market: wealthy women
- Website: https://www.esteelauder.com/
Estee Lauder has been a luxury brand for years and is commonly sold in high-end department stores such as Macys and Nordstroms. WIO News announced that the luxury brand recently appointed former Miss World Manushi Chhillar as its brand ambassador.
Estee Lauder has a number of products that focus on skin rejuvenation to reduce lines and wrinkles. This includes their Instant Glow line, repair serums, and more. It also has its Re-Nutriv line, in which they have partnered with top artists to create the various bottles and jars, adding to the overall cost of the products.
3. Smashbox Cosmetics
- Price range: $11-$65
- Signature products: Photo Finish primer
- What makes it special: It’s designed for on and off-screen
- Target market: Those in front of lights, including actors and celebrities
- Website: https://www.smashbox.com/
Smashbox was born in an LA photo studio. Makeup artists and photographers have been testing the makeup for years to ensure that it was capable of standing up to the various lights. The brand prides itself on cruelty-free products that are not only high-quality but also comfortable to wear in front of or behind the camera.
Hollywood makeup artists often stand behind Smashbox because of the high-quality products. Additionally, there are a lot of kits that focus on the latest trends.
2. Kjaer Weis
- Price range: $30-$99
- Signature products: skincare, kits
- What makes it special: products are organic
- Target market: Consumers concerned about synthetic makeup
- Website: https://kjaerweis.com/
Kirsten Kjaer Weis is the founder of Kjaer Weis makeup. She grew up on a farm in Denmark, learning about sustainability along the way. She attended a prestigious makeup school in Paris and worked with some of the top fashion magazines around the world.
Wit & Whimsy has referred to the brand as one of the “most innovative” brands. While they aren’t the most expensive, the brand is sold at top retailers like Nordstroms.
1. MAC Cosmetics
- Price range: $25-$220
- Signature products: Lip and eye makeup
- What makes it special: It’s all about artistry
- Target market: women within the Millennial and Generation X audience
- Website: https://www.maccosmetics.com/
MAC Cosmetics has been on the scene for years, and one of the reasons why they have been able to charge more is because of the services they offer. They make it possible to chat with a MAC artist and also visit a store for a full demonstration of how to apply the makeup products.
The company has had a number of celebrity collaborations over the years. According to Bustle, some of the top ones the brand has had include Selena, Mariah Carey, Rihanna, and even Barbie.
Written by Lily Wordsmith
Read more posts by Lily Wordsmith