Cartier has been in business for a long time. To be exact, interested individuals can trace its roots to 1847, which was when a man named Louis-François Cartier took over the business of his master Adolphe Picard. In turn, Louis-François Cartier was succeeded by his son Alfred, whose sons Louis, Pierre, and Jacques proceeded to make the Cartier name known throughout the world. As such, it should come as no surprise to learn that there are a lot of Cartier rings out there from bygone eras, which is something that will interest some people more than others.
Why Would You Want a Vintage Cartier Ring?
There are numerous reasons why someone might choose a vintage Cartier ring rather than something new. For instance, vintage jewelry can be much more affordable for interested individuals. This can sound rather strange considering the famous pieces that have been auctioned for sky-high prices. However, that is exactly it. Those were famous pieces, which make up a very small part of the vintage jewelry that can be found out there. As a result, it is very much possible for interested individuals to find a vintage Cartier ring at a discounted price compared to a new counterpart. Similarly, some people might have ethical concerns over buying new jewelry, whether because they care about the environment or because they care about other ethical sourcing issues. Whatever the case, a vintage Cartier ring can be a good solution to such concerns for the simple reason that its purchase won't reward any kind of bad behavior. Of course, it should also be mentioned that interested individuals might just like the look of a vintage Cartier ring. Sometimes, this is because vintage has become fashionable. Other times, this is because jewelry can possess a timeless charm. Regardless, being pleasing to the senses is the fundamental point of having jewelry, thus making this a very good reason to check out a vintage Cartier ring.
Here are some considerations to keep in mind when buying a vintage Cartier ring:
- Choose a Reputable Seller - There are a lot of fakes out there. As a result, interested individuals should buy from a reliable and reputable source while avoiding those that seem suspicious. One of the easiest ways to check a seller's credibility is to see what their past clients have to say about them, which should provide people with plenty of insight into their own situation. Be warned that a lack of information should be considered a major negative because it means that interested individuals have no information with which to guide their decision-making. This is particularly true if the seller is supposed to have been in operation for quite some time because reviewing has become so easy in the present time.
- Check for Marks - For starters, interested individuals need to make sure that their potential purchase is a real Cartier ring. Fortunately, real Cartier jewelry should have multiple marks of note. First, there should be the Cartier signature. It is common to see the name rendered in block letters on older jewelry. Meanwhile, it is common to see the name rendered in cursive letters on newer jewelry. Second, there should be a serial number, which is something that interested individuals are going to want to look up. Third, there might be information about the ring's year, metal content, and other important details. Please note that these markings should be even and smooth, meaning that they should be very readable.
- Check to See If the Material Is Real - Speaking of which, it can be worthwhile to check to see if the material of the vintage Cartier ring is real. Simply put, if they are made out of a precious metal, they should have the right weight for that particular precious metal. For that matter, while the more damaging tests can't be conducted, there are plenty of non-damaging tests as well. One excellent example would be running a magnet over jewelry, which is far from being perfect but can nonetheless be helpful because some fakes are made out of metals that will react.
- Provenance Is Good - Provenance is good. However, it is good for reasons that interested individuals might not expect. In short, if interested individuals know the exact hands that a vintage Cartier ring has passed through, they can have increased confidence in it being real. For that matter, that provenance can prove useful if they ever choose to sell that particular piece of jewelry in the future, thus enabling them to get a better price sooner than otherwise possible. As for whether interested individuals have ever heard of the people who have owned the vintage Cartier ring in the past or not, that won't be a huge concern in most cases. Most vintage jewelry didn't have famous owners, meaning that this part of their provenance tends to be a point of curiosity more than anything else. Thanks to this, interested individuals shouldn't get too stressed out over this issue.
- Be Cautious about Buying for Investment Purposes - Some people have been known to buy jewelry for investment purposes. However, there is no guarantee that this will be a good idea. Yes, jewelry is one of those assets that can retain their value over time rather than lose it at a steady pace. Unfortunately, they are still very much subject to changing tastes, meaning that their future value can be very unpredictable to say the least. If people want to make money off of their investments, there are better choices out there. Similarly, if they just want to protect their wealth, well, there are plenty of option for that investment goal as well.
- Buy Something that You Will Actually Wear - Ultimately, if interested individuals are going to buy a vintage Cartier ring, they should buy something that either they or the intended recipient will actually wear. After all, jewelry is meant to look good while helping its wearer look good, meaning that it is a real shame to leave it sitting in a safe somewhere. Naturally, this means buying something with a design as well as a style that interested individuals will like, which can see significant variation from person to person. As such, the buyer should always prioritize their own preferences when it comes to this particular consideration.
Written by Garrett Parker
Read more posts by Garrett Parker