Since the pandemic's arrival and decline, crime rates have increased in the United States. Firearm sales rose with homeowners seeking ways to protect themselves from violence and theft. An alternative or complementary solution is adding a home security system. Before you settle on a provider, check out our recommendations for the 10 best home security companies in the US. We did the legwork to find the top-rated services to help you find the protection and peace of mind you need.
How to find the best security company?
Considerations for getting the ultimate protection for your home include establishing your security needs and finding a company that provides them all. Check out the available services and equipment, including useful features for your family.
Not all security companies are alike. Some offer basic services, and others are more into state-of-the-art technology. When you find reputable companies verified through consumer reviews, compare prices to get the best deal. Here are 10 companies that meet the requirements of our criteria.
10. Brinks Home Security
- Consumer Rating: 3.5 of 5
Safewise recommends Brinks Home Security as a safe bet when contracting home alarm monitoring and security services. It offers the "most safety sensor options" of all companies on this list. The longstanding business has a solid reputation with nearly a million current commercial and residential clients.
Brinks is among the largest home security companies in the US. The headquarters is in Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, and serves customers in the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Brinks offers simple security solutions in a large network of independent dealers authorized through the parent company. Clients choose from DIY or professional product installation of cameras, video, alarms, monitoring systems, and professional technical support from expertly trained staff.
Brinks has a sensor for every type of monitoring. They cover doors and windows with wireless systems. Other sensors monitor for glass break, motion, indoor and outdoor, flood, freeze, smoke, water, carbon monoxide, vibration, garage door tile, and more. Depending on customer needs, they also offer packages for Smart Homes, night vision cameras, and additional sensors.
- Pricing starts at $39.99 per month for affordable options in basic home security.
- Pricing for plans is straightforward.
- Easy options for people new to signing up for home security plans.
- Various sensor options to choose from, with an array of equipment options.
- The company responds fast to alerts.
- Home security features, including monitoring, two-way audio, video, and alerts, are compatible with the Apple Watch.
- Money-back guarantees for a trial period before signing the contract.
- Cancellation fees are high.
- Contracts are required to obtain the service for specified amounts of time vs. monthly obligations.
9. Wyze Home Monitoring
- Consumer Rating: 3.75 of 5
Wyze Home Monitoringa newcomer in the home security industry. The business was incorporated in 2017 in Seattle, WA., specializing in smart home and security equipment, gadgets, and services. It's among the most affordable security companies offering devices and services at budget prices. The quality of products is high, but prices are low compared to other brands. You can find a base security kit for under $80 or more advanced packages for a fraction of more expensive brands, with all the features of high-end products.
Wyze specializes in useful gadgets to enhance home safety and security. It's a leader in providing gadgetry over others in the industry. You can find smart digital scales, plugs, and bulbs from the brand and smart home devices to automate your home for affordable prices.
Wyze offers remote control car cameras, doorbells with video capability, gun safes, smartwatches, and security cameras. The lineup of accessories is extensive for smart home technology. The base home security kit has a keypad control panel, a base station, a motion sensor, and two entry sensors.
- Affordable prices start at $9.95 per month for monitoring plans. It's the lowest on our list of the best home security companies.
- Low equipment prices
- Quality cameras and gadgets for budget costs.
- No backup for cellular monitoring features
- Weak selection of support for smart home security features and functions.
- Consumer Rating: 4 out of 5
Forbes picks Scout as a top contender among the best home security companies in the nation. It's a DIY security company that's been in business since 2013. It's an affordable option for DIY enthusiasts who prefer to bypass traditional home security monitoring systems. The company is in Chicago, Illinois.
Scout provides products and services that come with 60-day returns on product packages. All products come with a three-year warranty. Consumers who want to build their packages may prefer the pick-and-choose equipment and product options that allow them to build their home security systems. All products offered by Scout are Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa compatible.
- The company does not require a contract and charges no cancellation fees.
- Self-monitoring systems with build-your-own features.
- The lowest-priced status is shared with Wyze at plans starting at $9.95 per month.
- Professional-monitoring fees start at $19.99 per month.
- Compatible with smart homes.
- Limited professional monitoring capabilities
- The company is too new to "assess consumer confidence," per Forbes.
- Extra cameras cost $2.99 per month.
7. Frontpoint Security
- Consumer Rating: 4.1 of 5
Frontpoint Security opened its doors for business in Sterling, Virginia, in 2007. The established business provides its customers home security systems featuring interactive wireless capabilities. The highly rated company gives consumers DIY build-your-own security plans or professional security monitoring with basic to comprehensive options.
Frontpoint's monitoring services start at $34.99 per month with choices of contracted or no-contract plans. High-quality products come with extended warranty programs with a 30-day guarantee of satisfaction or your money back. Its best features are flexibility in plan development and its 3-year product and equipment warranty. High consumer satisfaction reviews and an A+ BBB grade give new customers confidence in working with the company.
- DIY or professional monitoring services are available.
- High-quality products backed by a long warranty.
- Large selection of home security products.
- Choice of contracts for monthly, yearly, three-year, or no-contract options.
- Sensors checked automatically on the hour.
- Compatible with Google Home voice assistant, Siri, and Amazon Alexa.
- No professional installation services are available.
- Limited smart home products.
- Professional installation is not available.
- Consumer Rating: 4.2 of 5
Abode is a Silicon Valley, California company that started in 2014. Although still new to the industry, it's earned a solid reputation for quality home automation and home monitoring and
security services. The company focuses on "DIY home monitoring," but they also provide professional security monitoring services. They provide all the devices and equipment needed to meet growing family security needs.
Abode has a BBB rating of A+ with high consumer reviews on multiple sites. Products are compatible with most major smart home tech brands. They offer plans at a $0 monthly cost for self-monitoring via smartphone. Customers may also pay a fee for professional monitoring, starting at $20 per month or just $6 if they prefer video storage or other features.
- A large array of plan options.
- No contracts are required.
- Affordable plans start at $0 with the purchase of devices and equipment.
- Compatible with most smart home tech device brands.
- DIY or professional monitoring options.
- The standard plan does not offer cellular backup.
- Consumer Rating: 4.2 out of 5
US News recommends SimpliSafe as one of the best home security companies in the United States for 2022. It's been in business since 2006 and serves more than 2 million consumers with home security and monitoring services. US News has voted them the Best Home Security System of 2022 in Boston, Massachusetts.
SimpliSafe charges for the system setup with affordable monthly plans with professional monitoring services or DIY plans. It gives consumers options with plans requiring monthly payments and DIY monitoring for $0 fees per month. Professional monitoring services start at $14.99 monthly. The base price to get started with equipment starts at $244.96 and goes up to $505.
- No contracts are required. You may pay monthly, purchase the equipment and devices, and monitor yourself without monthly service charges.
- It's easy for DIY installation, or you can choose professional installation through the company.
- The equipment and services are user-friendly.
- Customers may monitor the home via live camera footage with recordings through a smartphone.
- The system is wireless.
- SimpliSafe has a limited selection of cameras available.
- It's expensive compared to some of the other companies' professional monitoring fees at $14.99 per month and high equipment fees.
- Consumers receive limited integration with established equipment for home automation/smart homes.
4. Link Interactive
- Consumer Rating: 4 out of 5
Link Interactive is a cybersecurity company that has offered home protection services since 2010. It specializes in fire, smoke, and carbon monoxide detection. The company is in Ogden, Utah, offering interactive home security systems to residential and business customers.
Link Interactive provides an app to control security systems remotely via a smartphone. Customers highly rate service and support for professional monitoring services. It offers state-of-the-art cellular-based systems with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
There's no need for you to waste money on new equipment. We'll save you time and money by simply integrating your current system into a state-of-the-art Link system, offering the highest-quality remote access and automation. Contact us today to find out how easy and affordable it is to switch to Link Interactive. The DIY system is easy to install and use. Sensors integrate easily with existing security and monitoring systems if you're switching from a different company but have already purchased the base equipment.
- Peel and stick setup for easy and fast sensor placement.
- DIY installation is simple
- Extended 3-year warranty on all products
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- 30-day trial period with a money-back guarantee.
- Panel setup is free.
- Monthly fees are expensive, starting at $30.99.
- Consumer Ratings 8.9 of 10 by PC Magazine
Cove is a home security company based in Draper, Utah. It's been in business since 2017. Top 10.com recommends it as one of the best companies if you're looking for quality products and strong service support.
The home security and monitoring systems are easy to install for DIY enthusiasts. Customers receive professional monitoring services with strong support staff and a choice of professional equipment installation. No contracts are required, and customers can pay monthly fees for professional monitoring starting at $17.99. They offer multiple plan options with a 60-day trial period and a 1-year warranty on all products.
- Moderate monthly fees for professional monitoring.
- No contract commitment is required.
- May DIY equipment or opt for professional installation of the system.
- DIY or professional monitoring options in flexible plans.
- Equipment costs are expensive at $249 and more.
- The 1-year warranty is less than some other companies offer on equipment and devices.
2. Vivint Smart Home
- Consumer Rating: 4.1 out of 5
Vivint Smart Home is the rebranded name of APX home security company. It's been in business since 1999, founded in Provo, Utah. The company serves homeowners 24/7 professional security monitoring with home automation systems and security options.
Vivint provides each customer with fully customizable home security packages. Monthly fees for professional monitoring around the clock start at $29.99 per month. The professional installation comes with the purchase of the base unit, with one month of monitoring thrown in for free. It's rated as the "best professionally installed home security system of 2022." The systems are high-tech and wireless, covering all security needs from simple to complex.
- Top-notch home security and professional monitoring services.
- Fully customizable home security systems.
- State-of-the-art equipment and technology.
- Professional installation.
- Touchscreen and app hub controls.
- Smart home-friendly.
- Night vision cameras.
- Siren and light alert to dissuade would-be intruders.
- Expensive, with a base price of $599.99
- No DIY options are available for installation.
- Monthly fees are higher than most other companies.
- Subscriptions are required.
- A 60-month contract is required.
- Consumer Rating: 9.9 out of 10
ADT Inc is a security company that provides home and commercial security systems and professional monitoring services. It also provides automation systems for businesses to monitor various security threats for risk management. The company is in Boca Raton, Florida, serving the United States and Canada, and it's been in operation for over 145 years.
ADT provides complete monitoring and security products and services, including commercial burglary, medical alerts, temperature, fire, smoke, and flood alerts. It also provides wireless home security systems, remote access, and security cameras. The company offers five security packages for homeowners with video surveillance in real-time available for any device and customized packages to meet the budget and security needs.
- Professional 24-hour monitoring services.
- Live monitoring 24/7 in real-time.
- The highest consumer ratings of any security company.
- 6-month money-back guarantee.
- The user-friendly system works with a cell phone or key fob.
- More than 200 service Centers.
- Professional installation.
- The expensive base price starts at $599 and goes up.
- Monthly fee required of $27.99 per month
- 36-month contract required.
You can also read:
Written by Allen Lee
Read more posts by Allen Lee